Small Things 2-5-13
1. Hen’s been having a hard time sleeping in the morning. Part of this is tummy upsets–yogurt really isn’t working for him, even after a break and reintroduction, which is a shame–he loves it so. And neither, I suspect, are his new afternoon snack of a granola bars. And sadly, even once we figured out what was causing the early morning this-diaper-needs-changing-right-NOW situation, he’s now gotten a bit accustomed to a 4:30 wake up, and since he knows he CAN roam free in the house, he WANTS to roam free in the house.
Oi. He’s not being bad, just very very two.
And I am very very tired.
2. Potty training? Ugh. He’s fascinated by the idea. He understands and can enunciate exactly what hes supposed to do. He’s more than happy to act it out with his lovey–Real Bunny gets diaper changes, wears Big Bunny underwear, regularly sits on the Bunny Potty and even gets imaginary bunny treats for successful potty time. Hen on the other hand? Not so much. He’s actually fantastic at the ‘staying dry’ part. His diapers are very often pee-free now, but he’s still had no luck on the potty. It’s the going-on-command bit that has him worried, I think, and I have no idea how to address this other than to give him time.
Honestly, it seems to me like–as with so many of his milestones–the kid is waiting till he can do something well before he attempts it at all.
Not being much of a perfectionist myself, this attitude drives me crazy and makes me worry a bit for his future happiness, but there it is.
3. I think I found a design for making tomato trellises out of electrical conduit that should be affordable, very strong/durable, and easy to put together. More on this later. When it’s not 20* out there. Brrrr.
4. Huddled by the wood fire, really loving the warmth coming off this little stove. Yay for cast iron.
5. On the home stretch (button band & collar) of the Neverending Christmas Cardigan. Next up, a hat for me that will contain–adorably, I hope!– my long hair which is usually bundled up in a bun at the back of my head, making most winter hats pretty useless for me. Unless I make them myself and find a pattern that looks like I won’t end up looking like an alien or a Greek goddess is going to hatch out of my skull. Oh Ravelry.com how I do adore thee. I can waste at least as many hours browsing patterns on that site as I can on Pinterest!