Small Things 3-12-13
1. Today at library time, the kids’ librarian was running a St. Patrick’s Day program. She wore a headband with two shamrocks on springs, and asked the kids which of her hats they liked best. Shy toddlers, no one said anything until Hen made eye contact. “Do you like my headband?” She asked him. “Is this the best one?”
“No, my blue baseball hat is the best one. It looks very handsome on me.” He then held it out to be admired. Can’t argue. The headband was pretty goofy.
2. The cat follows me upstairs each night. Not because she loves me, but because she loves running water and wants to bathe in it while I brush my teeth. Seriously, this is one weird cat…
3. Pruned blueberries today. Gulp. There’s something rather brutal about pruning anything that’s been left to grow unchecked. The stand was a mess, it was rather cathartic to lay about me with mighty loppers, but I still felt kind of bad when it was all over and they’re looking more domesticated than wild.
4. Hen woke up after too little nap, so I went up to see if I could get him back down. I held him, sang to him, felt his breathing ease as he relaxed, and I was so proud of myself for my most excellent mommy skills!
Then he popped his head up and launched into a long-winded description of how Real Bunny probably can’t drive a recycling truck, but that maybe if Soft Bunny were there too, they might manage it, which would be good because then he could put the broken blades of the brown rusty windmill in the truck himself, which would be good because Real and Soft were too small…
Apparently Hen’s hoping the Easter Bunny will hide a windmill in his basket. Obviously too exciting a prospect to allow for a return to nap land.
5. I just watched Xena, Warrior Princess, fight off an angry mob with a freshly caught fish (after some rather blatant fan service with the blonde chickie.) Can I just say that I’m pretty sure this show will never again amuse me quite as much as it did tonight? Seriously, (ok, well, maybe not seriously- seriously) Xena is awesome.