Small Things 8-4-13
1. Sigh. Now Hen’s cast seems to be loose. ie: we can take hold of his fingers and tug it up his arm at least an inch or so. He’s lost weight, he’s certainly lost muscle tone, and the initial swelling was so severe that I suspect his poor arm has just withered away in there. I also suspect we’re heading to the surgeon’s tomorrow for them to put on a tighter cast for the last week (please, let it be the last week!) of his casting.
Ah well. Maybe it explains some of the discomfort that has woken him weeping multiple times every night since July 15. Yawn.
That would be good. I mean, not good it’s been hurting, but good if we could ease some hurt so easily.
2. Mattie Catty is a killing machine–leg is obviously not bothering her in the slightest. That’s pretty much how she spends her days–killing/trying to kill things. She caught a mole today. Of course, The Boy thinks she also played with it so inefficiently that it got away. I prefer to believe that it’ll go to its little mole hole & die there, rather than being eaten by ants on our driveway.
3. Along with the cast/arm grief, we’ve also been dealing with napping grief and appetite grief. Which makes everything else snowball into one big ass pile of misery. He’s been taking longer naps, because he’s up so much at night–which makes him less sleepy at night & therefore more prone to waking up, which means he takes longer naps…
I actually suspect he’s nearly ready to do away with that nap, but I’m not about to change anything so drastically until we’re back to an even keep healthwise.
Also, his appetite has completely tanked. Some of which is frustration with how hard it is to do simple things like brace his ice cream bowl with his sore arm, and some of which just seems to be pure toddler orneriness. But which ends up being a major source of cranky during the day. Which sucks. Every so often, my happy little guy peeks through for a few minutes and tries to make everyone laugh. Sick/hurting/unhappy kid is hard. Never thought I’d be the one resorting to ‘toot jokes’ in order to make him laugh, but there I am, yucking it up about bodily functions with the rest of the teenaged boys.
4. The Boy has been amazing at night. For a couple of nights now, he’s hopped out of bed and dealt with the crying kid before I could drag myself down the hall. Last night he was in there with him for a couple of hours sitting up in a chair & letting the baby drape himself all over him–I totally thought he’d already come back to bed. I kind of figure that middle-of-the-night duty is mine because I’m not working another job during the day. If I’m braindead, it’s no great loss as long as I can manage to remember how to sing the ABC song. But I feel close to normal today thanks to that gift of sleep. My husband is amazing. That two hours was even better than flowers…
5. Harvesting continues in the garden, though the second tomato from the ‘first tomato’ plant also had a big rotten patch inside. Not good. I made zucchini pizza tonight–yum. With basil & onions from the garden. All my tomatoes are now staked off the ground–some of the vines are close to 7 feet tall. I’ve never seen anything like this! Now, if only I can start harvesting some tomatoes that are not disgusting (well, ok, I had that one Jetstar, but it wasn’t phenomenal and Jetstars aren’t my favorite even when they’re great-for-type) Actually, the Sungolds I’ve managed to hide from Hen have been really good. So I guess I shouldn’t complain. Especially since once we start harvesting, I’m going to have to clear out my freezer for the sauce tomato harvest. Yikes!