Small Things 8-14-13
1. Still no sign that Hen ever wants to use his left arm ever again. Yeah, I’m really worried. He’s also still complaining about pain in his hand–so, at least he’s getting some sensation there, and I’ve been there, I know that pain is actually the first step in nerve injury recovery, but still, it just kills me that my toddler has to deal with this.
Today was actually a better day–I suspect because I was closer to the top of my game than I’ve been in weeks. Thank you 9:30-3:30 uninterrupted sleep! I was able to distract and jolly to an extent that simply hasn’t been possible in my sleep-deprived state, so meltdowns were averted, whining was held to a minimum, and we played with HotWheels whenever things got crankypants.
Hoping for another night of decent sleep for both of us, because, really, it makes a world of difference.
2. Harvested a couple of Japanese Trifele Black tomatoes today–tomatoes we bought as a plant on a whim–and all I can really say is “Wow.” We’re definitely going to be growing these beauties again! Delicious, easy to peel, and so pretty! Not to mention the fact that the plant’s incredibly vigorous and huge. And did I mention astonishingly tasty? This year’s orange experiment appears to be a failure, but a serious win on the random experiment. Yay for happy (delicious!) surprises!
And I have to mention how marvelously cool I think the Russian influx of ‘new’ tomato plants is. Just as the breakup of the USSR led to cheap(er) titanium bikes being widely produced in the 90s, these amazing Russian (and the JTB is a Russian tomato, despite the misleading name!) tomatoes are really redefining what makes a tomato delicious. I had a Brandywine the other day & went ‘meh’. Could you imagine thinking that in, say the 1980s?
3. Today was a remarkably beautiful day here. Windy–which I love–and clear. Cool without being chilly, and warm without being hot. Perfect.
There are certainly things I don’t like about this area. (Ticks.) But the perfect summer days are really amazingly so. Wow.
4. Unlike last year when every Playgroup day was sunny and warm (and therefore held at a local pond’s beach) this year, Thursdays have mostly been cool and cloudy. Yay for being able to go to Playgroup without torturing poor can’t-swim-with-a-punctured-arm Hen.
5. Tomorrow’s project is to buy Amaretto and then try to reproduce the coconut cake we ate in Hawaii. Springform pan. Cake cut into three layers. Whipped cream filling. So much mixing & folding and beating of egg whites. Oh my. I’m more of a ‘stir in a desultory manner & bake haphazardly’ kind of gal. We’ll see. Also, the Boy just informed me that despite my strong memory of him practically eating his weight in cake while we were there, he doesn’t like coconut cake flavored with amaretto. I think he’s just being contrary, but I hope it’s yummy, just in case I end up having to devour the entire thing. Do wish me luck…