Small Things 8-21-13
1. Water restriction is off! He gets to go swimming this weekend! And, he didn’t even need the silver nitrate reapplied. Woohoo! Now if we can just get him to start using his hand again, we’ll be all set…
2. Hot today, so I’m hoping that it jumpstarts the tomatoes that have been languishing on the vine out in our garden. Of course, we’re going to be away, ‘camping’, this weekend, so it’ll probably just make them all ripen on Saturday while we’re away, so we’ll return to a mess o’ squishy tomatoes on Sunday night.
3. I’m about to go attempt to make zucchini bread. Wish me better luck than the coconut cake luck.
4. Hen’s discovering a newfound appreciation of music. These long trips to the doctor have been hard on him because they tend to happen at naptime, so the trip home is after he’s stressed, exhausted, and too wound up to just slip asleep. So he fusses. Unless I put on the radio. Doesn’t seem to matter much what I play, but he especially likes it if I KNOW the song and can sing along. I think he had no idea that there were better songs in the world than ‘All the Pretty Little Horses’, which, granted, is all kinds of bedtime awesome, but not so exciting as Johnny Cash’s ‘Ring of Fire’.
And of course, nothing is as wonderful as ‘I Never Fail to Deliver the Mail’, but then, how could it be?
5. Hen’s started giving rather aggressive kisses. “Neckbreakers” I call them, because he’s decided that a love as big as his can only be expressed properly by grinding his face into mine. And really? He’s strong. It hurts my neck even when I do get my (admittedly large & in the way) nose out of the way. *sigh* So we’re starting in with the formal ‘how to kiss nicely’ etiquette at a much earlier age than I ever expected. Hard to ask my son not to kiss me, though, so I’ll settle for just a wee bit less force behind them! Now if I can just train him out of the ‘launch himself at Mama from across the room for a hug.’
Again, how do you say no to a expression of happiness that’s so big it needs a running start to properly express? I am very very lucky. And my cheekbone has almost completely healed already.